Westtown School, a diverse PK–12 Quaker day and boarding school located in beautiful Chester County, PA., seeks a full time Director of Capital Giving.
Candidate Description: The ideal candidate is a professional, thoughtful, articulate and experienced major gifts officer who demonstrates the ability to organize a dynamic constituency towards a common goal. The Director of Capital Giving is strategically oriented, knowledgeable about capital campaigns, and has a track record of success in securing six figure gifts. The Director of Capital Giving must be able to develop strong relationships with prospective donors and to work with trustees and other volunteers, to secure Capital Gifts that will help ensure the School’s future.
The Director of Capital Giving will:
- Manage a pool of approximately 125 prospects and has an annual goal of 132 visits. S/he will be on the road about 50% of the time (locally and nationally), visiting with key prospects who have been rated by capacity and inclination.
- Achieve 250 Quality Contacts annually (Quality contacts are interactions with donors that move the relationship forward in a meaningful way.)
- Play a key leadership role in organizing and executing capital campaigns
- Responsible for soliciting gifts of $10,000 and higher
- Develop and implement prospect solicitation strategies in partnership with development officers and Advancement Committee.
- Identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward these very important prospects.
- Manage a portfolio of Westtown Fund Leadership donors: cultivate, solicit, steward.
- Manage the gift strategy for 2-3 key reunion classes.
- Attend Westtown School events, both local and regional, to network with capital gift prospects.
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Experience in organizing and working with Capital Campaigns.
- Track record of success with securing gifts over $100,000.
- Knowledge and experience in Planned Giving preferred.
- Interest and willingness to travel: off-campus 50% of the time (local and national)
- Experience managing volunteers, including members of governing boards
- Knowledge of how to effectively market and communicate the values and mission of the School both internally and externally to Major Gift’s constituency.
- Highly energetic professional with a track record of building donor relationships and closing gifts in the six-figure range.
- Ability to interact in a positive manner with all the constituencies of the School community: The Head of School, the administration, staff, faculty, the Board of Trustees, alumni, parents, and friends of the School.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- High level of confidence and good oral presentation skills
- Excellent planning and organization skills.
- Ability to develop excellent rapport with donors and volunteers, and to interact with them on a professional and social basis with ease and comfort.
- Integrity, warmth, confidence, a positive outlook and a good sense of humor.
- A demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to a co-ed independent and boarding school education.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Attention to detail and ability to complete projects and established goals on time.
- Ability to use sound judgment to handle confidential information appropriately.
- 5+ years of major gift experience required (equivalent experience may be considered)
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills including Word, Powerpoint, and Excel programs.
- Experience with relational databases – knowledge of Raiser’s Edge preferred.
- Ability to travel.
- Able to assist with the set up and tear down of events.
A competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience, is available.
Interested, qualified candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: Lana Valenzuela, Director of Human Resources, at http://tiny.cc/westtown_careercenter and select Show All Job Openings.