Westtown School, a diverse PK–12 Quaker day and boarding school located in beautiful Chester County, PA., seeks a Full Time Assistant Director of Facilities for Capital Projects and Plant Services.
Position Description: The Assistant Director of Facilities for Capital Projects and Plant Services oversees capital improvement projects throughout the Westtown School campus. This individual is responsible for reviewing project specifications and establishing timelines and schedules. During any given project, this individual is responsible for ensuring efficiency, high quality of work, and timely completion. The Assistant Director of Facilities for Capital Projects and Plant Services will report to the Director of Facilities. The ideal candidate will be an experienced project manager, a team-builder, and an excellent communicator.
The Assistant Director of Facilities for Capital Projects and Plant Services will:
Prepares for upcoming capital projects.
- Reviews job orders, blueprints, and specifications.
- Prepares budgets. For in-house projects, estimates materials, equipment, performance requirements and delivery schedules.
- Follows Westtown School calendar and develops project schedules to minimize disruptions.
- Prepares rough sketches or plans to scale from oral or written instructions.
- Ensures the effective utilization of staff, materials and equipment and completion of the project on schedule.
- Coordinates campus housing moves.
- Supports a positive and collegial working environment and team.
Oversees projects in process.
- Observes and inspects work while in progress and when completed.
- Ensures that specific codes and regulations are followed, materials and equipment are used properly, schedules are met, and work is performed according to plan and safe practices.
- Oversees and reports on construction progress so projects are completed satisfactorily, on time, and within budget.
- Tracks project costs and performance. Maintains scheduling reports and records of contract budget (actual/projected).
- Coordinates design and construction review meetings between architect, contractors and school representatives.
- Coordinates, as necessary, between Westtown School community and outside vendors. Acts as liaison between School personnel and contractors.
- Give functional direction to others in support of contracts or projects.
Strategic oversight of capital improvement issues:
- Evaluate facilities condition data and conduct annual audits to identify needed repair and maintenance projects.
- Prepares and maintains written records of work performed and completed, and accounts for labor and material used.
- Recommends changes in procedures.
- Produces analyses, reports and presentations of budgets, performance, forecasts, etc. as required.
- Maintains up-to-date building files, prints, spreadsheets and databases.
- Lift, carry or otherwise move up to 50 lbs. regularly.Lift, carry or otherwise move up to 100 lbs occasionally with assistance.Follow proper moving and lifting procedures.
- Must be able to stand, walk, sit, climb or balance, bend stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl for long periods of time.
- Must adhere to all safety standards and work practices established by OSHA.
- Should be well organized and able to prioritize work; able to work independently without close supervision.
- Must be able to climb ladders.
- College Degree preferred with a discipline in Engineering, Construction or ConstructionManagement
- 5+ year’s progressively responsible experience in project management. This includes a comprehensive, in-depth working knowledge of standard project management concepts, practices, and procedures including basic accounting, personnel management, purchasing, contract administration, general administration, etc.
- Minimum of 5-8 years’ experience in the care and maintenance of similar facilities, including the supervision of a team of diverse tradespersons.
- Excellent mechanical aptitude and understanding of construction and the building trades.
- Working knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the building trades.
- Must possess good oral and written communication skills and be able to follow oral and written instructions.Ability to express ideas effectively and concisely.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License in order to drive school vehicles.
- Working knowledge of applicable agency standards and of appropriate building and construction code regulations, including ADA codes.
- Ability to train and supervise others.
- Ability to use the tools, machines, equipment and the materials of the building trades.
- Ability to read and interpret plans, diagrams, architectural blueprints and specifications.
- Ability to make standard arithmetic computations to calculate the dimensions of the project or building that is under construction, identify the proper placement of important structural components of the project or building, and calculate the quantity of materials and labor required to complete the project or building.
A competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience, is available.
Interested, qualified candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: Lana Valenzuela, Director of Human Resources, at http://tiny.cc/westtown_careercenter and select Show All Job Openings.