Moses Brown School – a Friends day school for 750 students N-12 in Providence, RI – seeks a skilled and visionary educator to serve as the next Head of Upper School (grades 9-12).
Founded in 1784 and situated on 33 acres in Providence’s historic east side, Moses Brown’s mission is to nurture the inner promise of each student and instill the utmost care for learning, people, and place. The school honors and upholds Quaker practices and values while also embracing students of every faith and background. In its hiring practices, Moses Brown deliberately seeks to maximize the diversity of the school (in terms of class, gender, ethnicity, race, religion, sexual orientation, abilities/disabilities, and language).
A member of the Administrative Council reporting to the Head of School, the Upper School Head is responsible for all aspects of life in a high school of 400+ students and 60 faculty and staff. The US Head oversees the academic program; supports teachers through mentoring, evaluation, and professional development; attends to students’ academic, social and emotional wellbeing; and serves as a resource for an active parent body.
MB is in the final stages of a transformational strategic plan – MB Believes: a vision for learning, people and place – and the new Head of Upper School will have an opportunity to advance some exciting new initiatives, including school-wide adoption of Project-Based Learning; programs in Engineering & Design, Social Entrepreneurship, and Coding & Robotics; MB Immersion program; and an extensive program of student travel.
The ideal Head of MB’s Upper School is someone who:
- Loves school, and fosters best practices in teaching and learning to challenge students academically;
- Demonstrates and encourages a growth mindset. The division head strives for excellence, seeks opportunities for improvement, and uses feedback to strengthen the performance of self and others;
- Balances innovation and management, and can steward long-term change while attending to the daily needs of students, parents, faculty, and staff;
- Inspires others, using interpersonal skills, great communication, and purposeful meetings to unite the community around a common purpose;
- Embraces MB’s Quaker identity. While not necessarily a Quaker, the candidate must have a strong affinity for Friends education;
- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity and inclusivity, values multiple perspectives, and has experience creating a safe learning environment for all;
- Enjoys working hard for a worthy cause; is organized and efficient; resilient and flexible, and comfortable multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment; and,
- Understands the business side of schools (e.g., enrollment, budgeting, marketing).
The successful Head of Upper School will work with talented students, experienced teachers, and dedicated administrators in building a vibrant learning community. This leader will join a high-functioning, caring division and have the opportunity to bring new ideas to the role and shape the programs, structures, and systems that support excellent teaching and learning in the Upper School.
Candidates interested in joining a creative team, a community dedicated to Friends values, and a school striving to honor its past while embracing the future should send a letter of interest, resume and brief personal statement to: USHeadSearch@mosesbrown.org. Screening to begin in November, interviews in December.
This is a 100% full-time, exempt, 12-month administrative position. Salary is commensurate with experience, and benefits include but are not limited to retirement, medical, life and disability insurance.