Lower School Principal
Friends’ Central School, an independent, coeducational Quaker day school founded in 1845 and serving 800 students in Nursery through Grade 12, seeks a Lower School Principal to lead the Nursery through Grade 5 division. We are seeking a committed individual interested in joining our community who can lead our students while also encouraging them in their own discoveries. The position requires a dedication to the School’s mission and Quaker heritage, as well as significant teaching and proven administrative success at the Lower School level. Weekly community gatherings for Meeting for Worship and a focus on Quaker principles are at the heart of a Friends’ Central Lower School experience. The Lower School Principal demonstrates a commitment to fostering an inclusive learning community, addresses issues of diversity, as well as enhance the Philosophy of Inclusivity and Awareness articulated in our Diversity Statement.
The Lower School Principal is an inspirational and visionary educator who evidences an understanding of child development as well as a love and respect for children and the joys of educating them. An appreciation of the learning journey of the three- to eleven-year-old is essential. The Lower School is an environment characterized by excellent academics, a strong commitment to an integrated curriculum and thematic teaching, active participation in learning, and the collaborative spirit of its students and teachers. Attentiveness to detail, collegiality, a sense of humor, and warmth are important qualities as well as strong written and oral communication skills.
The Lower School Principal is one of three division heads and a member of the Core Administrative Team, who reports directly to the Head of School. In addition, this individual works closely with the Assistant Head of School for Academic Program. As the chief administrator of the Lower School, they supervise 43 teachers and staff and 224 students in Nursery through grade 5.
- Provide vision for and oversight of the development and implementation of the Lower School program, and with the Assistant Head of School for Academic Program, enhance cooperation and coordination between grades in the areas of curriculum, skill development, and faculty evaluation.
- Supervise and inspire Lower School teachers through ongoing communication and regular meetings.
- Challenge faculty with professional development opportunities to foster growth.
- Communicate regularly about Lower School activities and programs through parent gatherings, face-to-face meetings, and written communication.
- Lead parent discussions about child development, 21st century pedagogy, and curriculum innovation.
- Serve as a resource for parents with regard to their own children in school; discipline strategies and social interactions among others.
- Articulate a clear, compelling vision of Quaker education.
- Share with prospective parents a passion for Friends’ Central, its children, and their learning.
- Work with the Director of Enrollment Management in marketing the Lower School; collaborate on formulation of admission strategy.
- Participate in interviews of Lower School applicants and review applicant folders.
- Cultivate relationships with incoming families, and make retention a priority by developing relationships with them that are ongoing from year to year.
- Commit to a strong internal marketing campaign aimed at retention.