Full-time (.80 FTE), 12 months, non-exempt (hourly)
Sandy Spring Friends School seeks candidates for the position of Accounting Associate. This position is responsible for general accounting tasks and year round payroll processing, including summer camp. This is a full-time benefit eligible position scheduled for 32 hours per week during the school year, and 40 hours per week during the summer camp season. The Accounting Associate reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer and has no supervisory responsibilities. SSFS is eager to consider applications from traditionally underrepresented groups.
- Performing general accounting functions, payroll functions, and maintaining accounting records
- Assisting external auditors at year end by preparing schedules and invoices; providing explanations of supporting materials and procedures; and preparing any other necessary data
- Providing departmental assistance with questions relating to payroll, accounts receivable, and general ledger
- Reconciling all monthly credit card statements for accounts payable
- Maintaining accounts receivable
- Processing and distributing accounts payable checks
- Maintaining background check records
- Occasional weekend/evening activities
- Assisting with budget management for summer programs
- Administering all aspects of payroll including time card compliance, supervisor approval, tax withholdings, and W2-distribution
- Other duties as assigned
Physical Requirements: Daily desk work including extensive amounts of computer time as well as the ability to navigate stairs, mobility around a large campus with uneven pavement, bending and squatting, and lifting/carrying boxes weighing up to 25 pounds.
Qualifications Include: A four-year degree or relevant work experience in a business or accounting field is preferred. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of three years’ experience in a business office environment, preferably in an independent school or other non-profit setting, as well as a basic understanding of generally accepted accounting principles. (GAAP) He/she will be a skilled oral and written communicator, meticulously organized, comfortable with juggling multiple priorities, and meeting deadlines. Knowledge of the Senior Systems Advantage database or other comparable non-profit accounting software modules is helpful. ADP (Automatic Data Processing-Workforce Now) experience is a requirement. Ideal candidates will also embrace professional development, be willing to develop new initiatives as needs arise, value diversity, and support Quaker beliefs, values, and practices.
Sandy Spring Friends School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or a person's status as a qualified candidate with a disability in administration of its educational program, admission policies, financial aid program, staff hiring and other school-administered programs. However, special consideration may be given to members of The Religious Society of Friends.