Sidwell Friends School (SFS) Rowing in Washington, DC, is seeking an assistant coach. Sidwell Friends School is a coeducational Quaker day school located in Washington, D.C. The rowing team is all-girls and rows on the Potomac River out of Thompson’s Boat Center. It competes in the VASRA league during the spring season.
We are looking for a talented, enthusiastic, creative and energetic coach who especially enjoys working with and teaching young rowers. The team practices on land in the morning before school during the winter and from 5:30 am to 7:00 am, five days a week during the spring. The assistant will work in close coordination with the head coach and other assistant coaches.
- Assist in the design and supervision of indoor training and teaching sessions in December, January and February;
- Design and supervise practices on the water during the spring;
- Assist the head coach in training and evaluating the varsity rowers and preparing the team for regattas.
- Drive a launch while conducting practice;
- Drive a school van to and from regattas;
- Attend regattas;
- Attend and help plan the team’s annual spring training trip in March;
- Assist with equipment upkeep;
- Competitive collegiate rowing experience;
- Minimum 1-year competitive youth coaching experience;
- Ability to drive a motorized launch;
- Valid Driver’s license;
- Knowledge of athlete safety and general boathouse safety;
- Candidates must either have or be able to obtain in advance US Rowing Level I certification or be willing to acquire;
- Ability to communicate well and honestly;
- Support for mission of the team and the school;
- Flexibility, adaptability and sense of fun;
- Ability to pass a background check
Above all, we seek candidates who love rowing, have strong communication skills, are passionate teachers, and know how to motivate teenage girls to train hard and row fast. Pay is competitive and depends upon level of experience. We will also pay for continuing education opportunities. Applicants should send a resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com