Friends School of Minnesota seeks a part time Learning Specialist for the 2019-2020 school year. The successful candidate will have experience with diverse student populations, parents and teachers in the coordination, monitoring and oversight of learning support plans, individualized education plans through Saint Paul Public Schools, and support for gifted and talented and/or twice exceptional students. The candidate must be willing to embrace the mission and values of Friends School of Minnesota.
FSMN is committed to providing excellent services for students with learning differences. The Learning Specialist supports the capacity of our faculty and parents by creating and supervising implementation of individual student learning support plans (LSPs), supporting staff and students within the classroom, providing parent education and consultation, and collaborating with SPPS to initiate and facilitate learning assessments, individualized education plans (IEPs) and direct services.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- ▪Write, implement, and manage learning support plans and IEP’s for individual students.
- ▪Oversee intervention services; conduct referrals to SPPS and evaluations of students.
- ▪Coordinate and facilitate meetings and workshops with parents, teachers and other professionals who work with identified students.
- ▪Support teachers and teacher assistants in ensuring LSPs, IEPs, and strategies for gifted and talented and/or twice exceptional students are carried out to best support all learners.
- ▪Lead training sessions with FSMN staff to ensure best practices in teaching students with learning differences.
- ▪Make connections and build relationships with students to support their academic achievement and social growth.
- ▪Create and update LSPs based on assessment results, and maintain confidential student records and documentation of diagnoses and support plans.
- ▪Conduct student observations in classrooms and implement formal protocols for observations and documentation.
- ▪Support students with behavioral needs in the classroom.
- ▪Review policies and plans around learning differences at FSMN.