Friends Select School is seeking a full time student support professional to work with middle and upper school students. This newly created position will work as an integral member of each divisional guidance team, comprised of the two division directors, associate directors, the school’s psychologist, and the MS/US learning specialist. The individual in this role will support students in both the Middle and Upper School divisions around learning, and social and emotional issues. The successful candidate will be flexible, dynamic, and team-oriented; additionally, the candidate will possess the ability to create and implement new programs and systems to positively impact individual students and the community. This position reports to the Middle and Upper School Directors.
- Develops presence with students, faculty, and parents-becomes part of the School community.
- Connects well with pre-teens, teens, and their families.
- Works with individual students to support specific, documented learning needs.
- Work with students to achieve self-understanding including the ability to recognize their strengths, and self-advocacy.
- Collaborates closely with the guidance team to promote the physical, social, emotional, educational, and health needs of students in Middle and Upper School.
- Meets with students individually and in small groups.
- Facilitates various support groups for students.
- Support students who are dealing with learning disabilities, AD/HD, anxiety, etc…
- Provide instruction to develop academic, executive functioning, social, and peer relationship skills.
- Works toward the advancement of the Friends Select Health and Wellness Program for all students (including interfacing with the school nurse, the food service program and members of the guidance team).
- Initiates and participates in meeting with parents and/or teachers as needed.
- Attends after school faculty meetings, grade level team meetings, and school gatherings.
- Hosts talks about parenting, various mental health issues, and child development topics.
- Assist with professional development of teachers and provide them with appropriate instructional strategies.
- Provide instruction to develop academic skills and executive functioning skills, as well as strategies for organizing and completing work effectively to students who qualify for support
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree, master’s preferred, in a related field such as education, child and adolescent development, special education, psychology, counseling, etc...
- Seasoned practitioner with experience working a school or counseling setting with students ages 10-18.
- Strong public speaking, organization, and written communication skills.
- Must be warm, nurturing, creative, and adaptable to meet the needs of a diverse community.
Friends Select School is a 590-student, co-educational, pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade, college preparatory, independent school located in center city Philadelphia. The school carries out its mission in a manner reflective of the spiritual and social testimonies of the Religious Society of Friends.
Friends Select School provides programs and services and equal opportunity in the administration of its educational and admissions policies, financial aid programs, employment and the selection of its governing board without regard to gender, race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, handicap status, or any status recognized by federal, state and local civil rights and non-discrimination laws.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, three professional references, and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. All materials should be submitted by February 25, 2019.