Middle School Social Studies Teacher: Westtown School, an independent, PK-12, day and boarding Quaker school in West Chester, Pennsylvania, seeks an experienced, dynamic Middle School Social Studies teacher to serve as a long-term substitute in 8th grade from April 15 to June 7, 2019.
Westtown is a spirit-led school where students are empowered to discover their unique gifts and guiding purpose in a values-based community, while acquiring the skills and knowledge they will need to impact — and to better — the world they will inherit. Founded in 1799 by members of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends, Westtown educates not just for the sake of college preparation, but for an engaged and reflective life. The school’s academic program is rigorous, and its college admissions record is impressive. At the same time, the school places a strong emphasis on reflection and mindfulness, both in weekly Meeting for Worship and in students’ everyday lives. Westtown’s beautiful 600-acre campus, located just 25 miles west of Philadelphia, encourages investigation, relaxation, and play, as well as illustrating the school’s commitment to sustainability. Quaker values and practices pervade the curriculum and culture, encouraging each community member to value diversity, to seek peace and justice, and to demonstrate respect for self and others.
The school seeks a Middle School teacher with experience teaching Social Studies who has:
- An outstanding academic background;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills;
- The ability to connect meaningfully with students throughout our diverse community;
- Willingness to engage with colleagues in a collaborative, interdisciplinary project;
- Familiarity with Middle Eastern and/or African history
The Middle School Social Studies teacher is also a member of the core Middle School team. Core activities may include advising, participating in lunch, supervision of study halls and recesses, chaperoning field trips or canoe trips, and other activities that
contribute to the well-being of the community.
- BA or BS degree; Advanced degree preferred;
- Experience with and commitment to working with Middle School aged children, including understanding of their developmental, social, and academic needs;
- Classroom experience;
- Commitment to building and sustaining an inclusive community and a program which reflects diverse cultures and perspectives;
- Strong affinity for the mission of Westtown School and an educational philosophy consistent with the school’s values
Westtown welcomes diverse candidates and encourages them to apply. Westtown does not discriminate in hiring, and is committed to fostering an inclusive community based on cultural competence, commitment to social justice, and respect for all voices.
Interested qualified candidates send a cover letter and resume to: Lana Valenzuela, Director of Human Resources at http://tiny.cc/westtown_careercenter and select Show All Job Openings.