Moses Brown School
Lower School Teacher – Fourth Grade Position
Moses Brown School – a Friends day school for 750 students N-12 in Providence, RI – We are seeking candidates who are passionate about their desire to teach, eager to embrace and forward the Quaker mission of the school, and able to contribute to a teaching partnership and to the direction of the school.
Founded in 1784 and situated on 33 acres in Providence’s historic east side, Moses Brown’s mission is to nurture the inner promise of each student and instill the utmost care for learning, people, and place. The school honors and upholds Quaker practices and values while also embracing students of every faith and background. In its hiring practices, Moses Brown deliberately seeks to maximize the diversity of the school (in terms of class, gender, ethnicity, race, religion, sexual orientation, abilities/disabilities, nationality and language).
The fourth grade program nurtures the social, emotional, and academic development of each child. A team of two co-teachers leads the fourth-grade classroom; instructional groups are flexible and dynamic. A desire to work in a team-based collaborative classroom is essential. This position offers an opportunity to collaborate daily in a team-based classroom, facilitating learning in a community that prioritizes the following:
Commitment to Co-Teaching and Collaboration
- ●Demonstrates cultural competency skills by embracing the vitality of a diverse community and fostering an environment of respect and inclusion, while actively working to build an equitable school community grounded in our Quaker values
- ●Fosters a culture of learning that supports regular, meaningful growth opportunities for both students and teachers
Collegiality and Professionalism
- ●Engages families as partners in a student’s success while recognizing and respecting differences in family backgrounds, structures, and cultures
- ●Engages meaningfully in school professional growth opportunities and enhances professional growth by giving and seeking assistance from other team members
Expert Thinking and Teaching
- ●Uses a variety of tools to make instructional decisions, monitor student learning, provide feedback to students, and facilitate students’ self-monitoring of learning
- ●Creates a classroom in which students are engaged, pedagogy is student-centered, and time is intentionally organized to maximize the learning of each child, with an emphasis on Project-Based learning.
- ●Implements a student-centered social-emotional curriculum, such as Responsive Classroom
In addition to a broad range of teaching responsibilities including the areas of language arts, math, and social studies, teachers are expected to serve on committees, attend school meetings, and have yearly co-curricular responsibilities.
The position is effective late August 2019. Compensation is competitive, and the school offers excellent benefits. Moses Brown is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to promote diversity through its hiring. Contact Osvaldo Jose “OJ” Marti, Head of Lower School at email@example.com. Each applicant must submit a resume and a cover letter explaining how they would be a good match for these criteria.