Westtown School, an independent, PK-12, day and boarding Quaker school in West Chester, Pennsylvania, seeks an experienced, dynamic Middle School Learning Specialist
Westtown is a spirit-led school where students are empowered to discover their unique gifts and guiding purpose in a values-based community, while acquiring the skills and knowledge they will need to impact — and to better — the world they will inherit. Founded in 1799 by members of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends, Westtown educates not just for the sake of college preparation, but for an engaged and reflective life. The school’s academic program is rigorous, and its college admissions record is impressive. At the same time, the school places a strong emphasis on reflection and mindfulness, both in weekly Meeting for Worship and in students’ everyday lives. Westtown’s beautiful 600-acre campus, located just 25 miles west of Philadelphia, encourages investigation, relaxation, and play, as well as illustrating the school’s commitment to sustainability. Quaker values and practices pervade the curriculum and culture, encouraging each community member to value diversity, to seek peace and justice, and to demonstrate respect for self and others.
The Middle School Learning Specialist will:
- Help students develop the growth mindset they need to persevere and succeed in all aspects of school and life.
- Develop and deliver, along with 6th grade teachers, advisors and the Middle School Counselor, a study skills curriculum (SMARTS) focusing on executive functioning tools such as planning, organization, and test-taking.
- Provide individual and group academic support for students in organization, executive functioning skills, study habits, note-taking, and other learning skills.
- Provide professional development and support for teachers in furthering teaching skills to support a variety of learning styles within the classroom setting.
- Work with faculty to identify students who struggle with learning differences and develop action steps
- Formulate a learning support plan for identified students, in collaboration with the Student Support Team
- Collaborate with faculty to develop, deliver and monitor interventions and differentiated instruction, which includes a wide range of strategies to address the many ways of learning
- Serve as part of a student support team including the School Psychologist, Middle School Counselor, and Middle School Principal.
- Participate in weekly grade-level team meetings
- Participate in weekly Middle School faculty meetings
- Collaborate with Learning Specialists from all three divisions to facilitate consistent support and smooth transitions for students between divisions
The Middle School Learning Specialist teaches one section of a Middle School academic class and is also a member of the core Middle School team. Core activities include advising, participating in lunch, supervision of recesses, chaperoning field trips or canoe trips, and other activities that contribute to the well-being of the community. Core teachers also engage in at least one season of coaching or an equivalent activity such as advising the yearbook.
- BA or BS degree; Advanced degree in Special Education
- Experience with and commitment to working with Middle School aged children, including understanding of their developmental, social, and academic needs;
- Classroom teaching experience;
- Expertise and experience in teaching high-achieving students with diverse learning profiles;
- Commitment to building and sustaining an inclusive community and a program which reflects diverse cultures and perspectives;
- Strong affinity for the mission of Westtown School and an educational philosophy consistent with the school’s values
Westtown welcomes diverse candidates and encourages them to apply. Westtown does not discriminate in hiring, and is committed to fostering an inclusive community based on cultural competence, commitment to social justice, and respect for all voices.
Interested, qualified candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: Lana Valenzuela, Director of Human Resources, at http://tiny.cc/westtown_careercenter and select Show All Job Openings.