Friends’ Central School Overview
Friends’ Central School is an independent, coeducational Quaker day school founded in 1845
and serving approximately 750 students in Nursery through grade 12. Located in the Philadelphia
suburbs, the School has two campuses. The Middle & Upper Schools are located just outside of
West Philadelphia in Wynnewood, and the Lower School is on our Old Gulph Road campus in the
heart of Wynnewood.
The exceptional faculty at Friends’ Central offers a curriculum that cultivates the intellectual,
spiritual, and ethical growth of our students. Our pedagogy is grounded in continuing revelation,
reflection, integrity, and a willingness to accept responsibility. From Nursery to grade 12, our
students participate in a process designed to foster creative, critical, and flexible thinking, along
with compassion. As they transform from playful children to skilled, self-possessed teenagers,
they are always intellectually curious and engaged thinkers. Friends’ Central prepares graduates
to succeed in college and in life.
Middle/Upper School Teacher
Friends’ Central School seeks a Makerspace Director to lead our 6th through 12th grade
creative and collaborative learning makerspaces. Ideal candidates will have experience managing a
makerspace as well as classroom teaching experience. The position requires dedication to the School’s
Quaker heritage, the ability to collaborate, inspire, and bring joy to the community.
• Facilitate hands-on projects with students; team-teach with classroom teachers. Create opportunities
and programming in the makerspace, including partnering with outside organizations and experts
• Manage two inclusive, diverse, safe and creative space for teaching, learning, and making, including
scheduling, inventory, student helpers, and equipment upkeep
• Plan and lead professional development programming and workshops for faculty
• Assist with Middle and Upper School related clubs and other extracurricular programming
(occasional weekend and evening commitments as needed)
• Must be flexible and collaborative team member who can support, inspire, and motivate others and forge
• Teach one Middle School Computer Science Rotation and two Upper School Computer Science Classes.
• Other duties as assigned by the Middle and Upper School Principals