Friends Western School (FWS) is a cooperative Quaker elementary school in Pasadena,
California that values inquiry, participation, examination, and reflection. We believe in each
child’s natural curiosity and compassion and we work with each student to nurture a lifelong
love of learning and a strong sense of integrity.
The Head of School supports and fulfills Friends Western School’s mission, vision and goals;
provides educational leadership; ensures the school’s current vitality and future stability;
instills strong Quaker values into the school; and manages the daily operations of the School in
collaboration with faculty, parent members and the Board of Directors.
The Head of School’s essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
Educational program: ● In conjunction with faculty, facilitate, integrate, and assess educational elements of the
● Also in conjunction with faculty, develop and oversee all educational elements of the
school, which include grade level classes, specialty programs, co-curricular,
extracurricular, and after-school programs.
● Work with the faculty to ensure that the curriculum, related activities and school
experience for children is consistent and progresses in accordance with the school's
mission from year to year. This includes all subjects as well as social/emotional facets of
the school community.
● Understand and pursue the most current educational research and propose and help
incorporate new programs to advance the educational mission of the school.
Personnel: ● Provide leadership through the hiring and retaining of excellent faculty, support
curriculum with resources and feedback, and ensure the school's overall vitality and
integrity among the school and community.
● Work with the Board of Directors by attending regular monthly meetings and
communicating through e-mail, phone and in-person meetings to create personnel
policies, maintain personnel records, update and improve Bylaws, employee
handbooks and agreements; and to facilitate a dialogue between Board and Faculty to
implement pre-existing or developing protocols in support of school goals.
● Collaborate with the Treasurer to maintain financial records and provide input in
financial decisions for the school.
● Coordinate professional development policies and plans for all full & part-time teachers
and school staff.
● Coordinate procedures to provide coverage in classrooms as needed.
● Provide direct supervision to Teaching, After Care, and Specialty staff and parents
monitoring the school yard.
Community Relations: ● Engage fully in the daily life of the school, provide educational leadership and be a
skilled spokesperson for the school’s vibrant educational program.
● Foster positive relationships with families.
● Keep the FWS community informed of activities and school events through regular
● Attend monthly membership meetings and collaborate with the Board to create and
execute agenda items.
● Work closely with the FWS Board of Directors in developing school policy and
furthering the mission of the school.
● Develop positive relationships with students.
● Provide support for the conflict resolution program and challenging student behavior
to teachers and staff, including facilitating parent meetings.
● Engage in conflict resolution practices with students, faculty and community members;
● Work with faculty and Board of Directors to create and administer behavior
improvement plans as necessary.
● Lead and coordinate with teachers to provide oversight for all-school events.
Operations: ● Work closely with administration and Board members on admissions, enrollment,
retention, development, fundraising, and middle school placement to support FWS.
● Work closely with the Board of Directors in matters of fiduciary responsibility,
including but not limited to increasing enrollment and retention, practical and
sustained marketing within and throughout our internal and extended community,
fundraising, and annual auditing of school goals and best practices.
● Oversee school site and faculty.
● Promote FWS and represent FWS in the larger educational community.
● Participate in and lead school tours/info events as needed.
● In conjunction with the Board of Directors, the faculty and membership, develop and
revise School’s Strategic Plan.
● Ensure that FWS maintains its status as a Friends Council on Education (FCE) member
through regular communication with FCE staff, attendance of workshops, and writing
and submitting information and auditing materials to FCE, as needed.