Westtown School, a diverse K–12 Quaker day and boarding school located in beautiful Chester County, PA., seeks a full-time Director of Upper School Learning Resources Center with previous experience supporting Upper School students, exceptional interpersonal skills, strong facility with technology, and the ability to connect meaningfully with students and families throughout our intentionally diverse community.
The Upper School Learning Center Director is responsible for leading the Upper School academic support program. The ideal candidate will have a vision for fostering academic success for all students, with an emphasis on designing programs that help all students achieve success.
The Upper School Learning Resource Center Director will:
- Develop a program to provide individual and group academic support for students in organization, executive functioning skills, study habits, note-taking, and other learning skills.
- Provide professional development and support for teachers in furthering teaching skills to support a variety of learning styles within the classroom setting.
- Formulate a learning support plans for students with demonstrated need (cognitive or medical) in collaboration with the Student Support Team
- Work with faculty to identify students who struggle with learning differences and develop action steps
- Develop and deliver, along with 9th grade teachers, advisors and the 9th Grade Dean, a study skills curriculum (SMARTS) focusing on executive functioning tools such as planning, organization, and test-taking.
- Collaborate with faculty to develop, deliver and monitor interventions and support for students with demonstrated need, which includes a wide range of strategies to address the many ways of learning
- Serve as part of a student support team including the School Psychologist, Counseling Psychologist, Health Center Director, Dean of Academics, Dean of Students
- Participate in weekly grade-level students-of-concern meetings
- Participate in weekly Upper School faculty meetings
- Collaborate with Learning Specialists from all three divisions to facilitate consistent support and smooth transitions for students between divisions
The Learning Resource Center Director supervises staff in the Learning Resource Center, as well as faculty and externs who provide support to students in the Learning Resource Center. In addition Learning Resource Center Program direction, the Learning Resource Center Director participates in a broad range of activities, including advising, supervising afternoon study halls, evening study hall supervision and other activities that contribute to the well-being of the residential community.
- BA or BS degree; Advanced degree in Special Education
- Experience with and commitment to working with High School-aged students, including understanding of their developmental, social, and academic needs
- Classroom teaching experience
- Expertise and experience in teaching high-achieving students with diverse learning profiles
- Commitment to building and sustaining an inclusive community and a program which reflects diverse cultures and perspectives
- Strong affinity for the mission of Westtown School and an educational philosophy consistent with the school’s values
Westtown welcomes diverse candidates and encourages them to apply. Westtown does not discriminate in hiring, and is committed to fostering an inclusive community based on cultural competence, commitment to social justice, and respect for all voices.
Interested, qualified candidates should send a cover letter and resume by Monday, April 22, 2019 to: Lana Valenzuela, Director of Human Resources, at http://tiny.cc/westtown_careercenter and select Show All Job Openings.