The Board of Friends Council on Education affirms that its membership is comprised only of religious schools based on the faith and practice of the Religious Society of Friends. Member institutions are those Friends schools that have been approved by the Board of the Friends Council on Education for membership.
All member schools meet the criteria for membership (A – H) below.
As established in 1996, in order to encourage and welcome the diversity of Quaker education that exists within the Religious Society of Friends, there are currently three pathways for schools to enter and affirm membership in Friends Council on Education. These three pathways equally assure the religious nature of any given Friends school.
The school has followed at least one of three pathways to membership.
- Board Pathway: At least half of the board members are members of the Religious Society of Friends.
- Meeting Pathway: The school is in a care relationship with a Quaker meeting.
- Membership Renewal Process (MRP) Pathway: Designed to be a rich learning and growth experience for a school community, the Membership Renewal Process involves a year-long Quaker self-study followed by a school visit from Friends Council on Education at least once every ten years.
The school acknowledges in its catalogues and other published statements of purpose the intent to be guided by the basic tenets and educational aims of The Religious Society of Friends.
The school has given evidence of putting those aims and tenets into practice including:
- Weekly Meeting for Worship is fundamental to the Quaker essence and character of the school.
- Some members of the school’s board participate in a committee or task group whose function is to nurture the Quaker dimension of the school.
The school's by-laws or other documents clearly describe the school's affiliation with the Religious Society of Friends.
A team from Friends Council has visited the school, made recommendations to the school and to the Friends Council board, and the board has approved the school for membership.
The school has been in operation with students in attendance for at least two years prior to its first team visit for membership.
The school completes the annual school governance survey and contributes annual membership dues to Friends Council on Education.
- The school completes a Quaker self-study and Membership Renewal Process at least once every ten years.